* Children under eight shouldn't be out alone, especially in busy towns, and even when outside they should always be in sight of an adult or much older trustworthy child.
* Don't leave young children in unsupervised play areas or in the car or outside a shop.
* Don't walk far ahead of small children who can wander off in a moment.
* Teach children their full name, address and telephone number from an early age.
* In busy public places arrange somewhere safe to meet in case you get separated.
* Listen to your children, especially if they are worried about something such as a bully at school or a babysitter they don't like.