Saturday 10 December 2016

Rush-hour tragedy as man dies after being hit by Luas

Kevin Keane

Published 12/10/2011 | 05:00

A MAN has been killed in Dublin after being hit by a Luas tram during rush hour.

  • Go To

The 35-year-old Polish national was struck by a city centre-bound tram on Steven's Lane, near Heuston Station, at 4.20pm yesterday.

Ambulances and the Dublin Fire Brigade rushed to the laneway, but the man was pronounced dead at the scene.

The consular section of the Polish Embassy said last night that it had been informed of the accident and was taking steps to make contact with the man's relatives.

Yesterday's death is the second fatal accident involving the Luas since it began operations in 2004.

In February 2008, Anthony Creed (59), from Bawnlea Close, Tallaght, died after being struck by a tram near Tallaght.

Despite fears before its launch that the light-rail system would lead to a high number of fatal accidents, there have been a smaller than expected amount of incidents.

So far this year, 12 minor road traffic collisions have been recorded.

Last night, the Luas line between the Heuston and Blackhorse stops was closed for a period while gardai carried out a forensic examination of the scene.

Thousands of passengers were forced to make alternative travel arrangements as all services on the Red Line between Blackhorse and the city centre were briefly suspended. Services from Blackhorse to Tallaght operated as normal and Luas ticket holders were able to use Dublin Bus services.

Later in the evening, Luas services between Heuston and the Point were reinstated and Steeven's Lane was reopened at 7.50pm.

A spokesman for Luas operators Veolia said last night that the company would be carrying out its own internal investigation in to the incident and would co-operate fully with the garda investigation.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News