Friday 2 December 2016

RTE will not be marking Ryan's first anniversary

Edel Kennedy

Published 25/04/2011 | 05:00

HE was one of their biggest stars, but the first anniversary of the death of Gerry Ryan will go unmarked by RTE.

  • Go To

His family and his partner will hold separate, private commemorations.

Mr Ryan had worked for the national broadcaster for 31 years and hosted his own three-hour daily radio show since 1988.

But there will be no programmes on radio or TV this week to commemorate his life and work.

"There will be no special programmes on 2fm, though individual programmes may mark his anniversary," an RTE spokeswoman said.

"Individual programme items are a matter for programme producers. Friends and colleagues of Gerry will mark this anniversary in their own private way."

Mr Ryan's body was discovered at his Leeson St apartment in Dublin on April 30 last year by his partner, Melanie Verwoerd.

This Saturday marks the one-year anniversary of his sudden death.

A post-mortem found the 53-year-old had traces of opiates, cocaine and alcohol in his body. Pathologist Dr Eamon Leen told an inquest that the post-mortem showed the broadcaster had died from an abnormal heart rhythm likely to have been triggered by cocaine.

Ms Verwoerd, executive director of UNICEF Ireland,told the Irish Independent yesterday that she will be marking her partner's death "privately".

The Ryan family is holding a Mass for him but she confirmed she had not been asked to attend.

The broadcaster separated from his wife Morah, the mother of his five children, in 2008 and he began a relationship with Ms Verwoerd later that year.

A spokeswoman for the Ryan family said they will be holding a "small and private" Mass to mark the anniversary of the radio presenter.

It is expected that many of his former colleagues will attend. It is understood the Mass will be celebrated in the Church of St John the Baptist in Clontarf.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News