Monday 24 November 2014

Residents evacuated after pipe bomb thrown at house

Paul Williams and Brian Byrne

Published 02/06/2014 | 02:30

A member of the army bomb disposal unit at the scene in Moneymore. Picture: Paul Connor
A member of the army bomb disposal unit at the scene in Moneymore. Picture: Paul Connor
A Garda photographs the inside of the house in Moneymore after the scene was declared safe. Photo: Paul Connor

RESIDENTS of a housing estate were evacuated after a pipe bomb was thrown through the front window of a house.

The incident occurred in Moneymore housing estate in Drogheda early yesterday morning. It is understood that the owner of the house was the only occupant at the time and that they were not injured.

While the improvised bomb was discovered at around 5am, it was several hours later before gardai were informed.

Gardai confirmed that they became aware of the device at around 11am and called in an Army Bomb Disposal Unit.

Upon arrival it was discovered that the device had been moved to the front garden of the house.

Gardai evacuated the occupants of a number of surrounding houses and roads were closed throughout the operation.

An Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Team arrived at the scene at 2pm and carried out a controlled explosion in order to render the device safe.

The scene was declared safe at approximately 2.45pm and residents were allowed back into their homes.

The device was later handed over to gardai for forensic examination.

Gardai said the device could have caused serious injury to the family who live in the house if it had exploded.

"This was a very dangerous situation and could have resulted in injuries to the people inside.

"The person who threw the bomb clearly intended to kill or maim," a source said.

Sources confirmed that a viable device was thrown through the front window of a house early yesterday.

An investigation has been launched by detectives in Drogheda who are trying to find out why the house was targeted.

Local councillor Tommy Byrne said that a number of his canvassers lived in the estate and that he had attended school with some of the residents. He said he was "very taken aback" after hearing about the incident.

Moneymore housing estate has been subject to criminal activity in recent years.

The incident brings to around 25 the number of call-outs the Army bomb squad has had to deal with so far this year.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News