Residents bid to block family move into parish
Rural dwellers are blocking a local authority's efforts to rehouse a family in their community.
Residents of Ballaghmore, Myshall, Co Carlow, have mounted a 24-hour picket outside a cottage.
Up to 20 people stand outside the house in protest at Carlow County Council's decision to move a family from Bagenalstown to the Myshall parish.
It's understood that gardai, the Health Service Executive (HSE) and Carlow County Council believe the family would benefit from being moved out of their home town.
However, Myshall residents are opposed to the move as they believe the council is "exporting a problem" into their area.
Over 100 residents turned up in the Myshall parish hall yesterday to voice their concerns at the council's plans.
"We believe the gardai and the HSE and the council are not prepared to deal with this family's problems in their own town. Instead they are taking them out of the community where they were reared and dumping them in the middle of nowhere. We don't want them here," said a spokesperson for the Myshall residents.
"There was an attempt by the gardai and the council on Friday afternoon to move the family here but it was aborted. There were 40 or 50 of us picketing. It is our right to protest," added the spokesperson.
Director of housing with Carlow County Council Seamus O'Connor said last night that the move would go ahead this week -- with the help of gardai.
He said the family's living circumstances would improve because of the relocation opportunity. "It's unfortunate that everybody is not happy with our decision," he added.
Local councillor Tom Kinsella said a delegation of public representatives met county manager Tom Barry last week.
"The county manager was sympathetic but it is an executive decision and the health service and the council decided it would be beneficial to the family involved ... people are concerned that a problem is being shipped out to them."