News Irish News

Saturday 21 January 2017

Regeneration chief calls derelict houses a danger

Barry Duggan

Published 26/08/2010 | 05:00

THE man charged with the regeneration of some of the country's most deprived estates has admitted that derelict houses pose an ongoing threat to children's health and safety.

  • Go To

Limerick Regeneration Agencies chief executive Brendan Kenny made his comments after two children found the body of a dead heroin addict in a vacant house in Moyross.

The 14-year-old boy and 10-year-old girl discovered the remains in Hartigan Villas, Moyross, earlier this month.

The majority of the homes in the area of the Moyross suburb where the man's body was discovered are earmarked for demolition.

A total of 400 properties have been demolished in four suburban Limerick areas.

Another 150 are awaiting demolition.

Mr Kenny said burnt out and vacant properties were an ongoing concern for regeneration staff and Limerick City Council.

Of the 150 homes across Moyross, St Mary's Park, Southill and Ballinacurra-Weston, Mr Kenny said it was taking longer for them to be levelled.

"There can be complications with them such as having to get the permission of the owner who may have moved on or left the area. All these issues have to be addressed before we can proceed," he said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News