News Irish News

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Public show support for family of attack victim

Adrian Rutherford

Published 05/01/2013 | 05:00

  • Share

A BOOK of condolences has been opened in the town where a young man was brutally killed on a night out.

  • Share
  • Go To

Jason McGovern, pictured, from Co Monaghan was found dead in Omagh on Monday – hours after he was attacked while socialising with friends.

Council chairman Errol Thompson said the condolence book was a way for people to show their support for the McGovern family.

"The tragic death of Jason McGovern following an assault in Omagh town centre has greatly shocked the community here," he said as people queued to write their tributes in the book.

Detectives have now arrested five men in connection with the death of the 19-year-old.

A 21-year-old was detained in the Omagh area after three others aged 17, 18, and 19 were arrested earlier in the week.

They were still being questioned by detectives yesterday while a 21-year-old man arrested on Wednesday has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Detectives also made a specific appeal for the driver and occupants of a dark coloured Renault Megane car, which was parked outside the Terrace Bar in Omagh at the time of the assault, to come forward. Police said they may be key witnesses.

His family is still waiting for his body to be returned.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News