Friday 26 December 2014

Prison for death blaze landlord

Published 17/05/2013 | 17:53

A landlord has been jailed for violating fire safety regulations after a fatal blaze
A landlord has been jailed for violating fire safety regulations after a fatal blaze

A landlord has been jailed for violating fire safety regulations after a blaze that left two young jockeys dead, firefighters have confirmed.

Jamie Kyne, 18, from Kiltrogue, Co Galway, Ireland, and Jan Wilson, 19, from Forfar, Scotland, died in 2009 when fire ripped through a block of flats in Malton, North Yorkshire, England.

Labourer Peter Brown was jailed for a minimum of seven and a half years in 2010 for torching the flat in a drunken revenge attack after being refused entry to a party. Brown, then 37, of Brotherton, North Yorkshire, was cleared of murder but found guilty of manslaughter at Leeds Crown Court.

On Friday, at the same court, flat owner Alan Foster, 65, was jailed for a year, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service confirmed.

Foster, from Malton, admitted four charges of breaching fire safety regulations - charges that included violations like storing combustible material within a stairway, failing to manage fire precautions and failing to carry out a fire risk assessment.

Two of these charges related to Buckrose Court, where the jockeys died. But the investigators said they were alarmed that Foster continued to fail in his duties to manage and maintain fire safety within a neighbouring property two years after the fire.

Area manager Dave McCabe, of North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "The events and circumstances surrounding this case contributed to the tragic and unnecessary loss of life for two young people. The officers of The Fire and Rescue Service have been acutely aware of the effect these losses have had on the families of Mr Jamie Kyne and Miss Jan Wilson.

"This case has been long, protracted and complicated to investigate for North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service. The Fire Authority has been determined to resolve all the issues and breaches of legislation that occurred.

"It is not possible, nor desirable, to continually check up on every premises where the Fire Safety Order applies. The duty to ensure premises are safe lies with 'The Responsible Person'. In this case Foster was 'The Responsible Person' and he failed in his duties.

"The Fire Authority, through the law, has done what it can to bring some recompense. However, our thoughts and condolences are with the families of Jamie Kyne and Jan Wilson."

Press Association

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News