Prison dog poisoned after cannabis find
Published 12/04/2014 | 02:30
A prison service patrol dog was poisoned after chewing on cannabis.
The Alsation was treated after it was spotted staggering around its kennel in Cork Prison.
The dog was taken to a local vet who managed to save the animal's life.
A small amount of chewed cannabis was later found near to the kennels.
The Irish Prison Service (IPS) confirmed 'Max' was recovering from his accidental 'high', and had returned to duty.
Handlers stressed that, unlike sniffer dogs, patrol dogs weren't trained to identify illegal drugs but were largely trained for perimeter security duties.
An IPS investigation revealed that a member of the public had thrown some cannabis over the wall last Monday evening.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie