Praveen to take Savita case to Europe over public inquiry
Published 27/11/2012 | 08:49
THE husband of Savita Halappanavar is determined to forge ahead with a case in the European courts if the Government does not agree to a public inquiry by the end of the week.
Praveen Halappanavar said he does not relish such a battle but will do what he must.
“I do not think it is fair that they are making me fight for this. All Savita's family want is the truth. It is unfair to force me to do this but the fight will continue. We will go to Europe if we must,” he said.
Savita’s parents have demanded that the Government hold a public inquiry, saying that they do not understand or trust the HSE probe.
Mr Halappanavar's solicitor Gerard O'Donnell hit out at the Government, accusing it of failing to take action. Mr O’Donnell said: “When you reflect on it, it's clear the Irish Government has done very little.
“It was the HSE that set up the initial inquiry and it was the HSE that requested the HIQA inquiry but these requests did not come from the State. The Government has extended its sympathies to Praveen and Savita's family and apart from that has done nothing else. It hasn't actually initiated anything.”
Mr O'Donnell added: “We have to stay in a sense legally active in this matter. This is very tough on Praveen but the mood in India is really that he is here on his own fighting for justice.”
Health Minister James Reilly last night said he would await the results of the HSE and HIQA reports before taking any further action.
Mr O'Donnell also revealed he has still not received any response from the HSE on the matter of missing documents.
It emerged last week that medical records made available to Mr Halappanavar do not include any reference to the couple’s repeated requests for a termination. “There has been no response to that correspondence at all,” said Mr O'Donnell.
While doctors notes are available for Tuesday, October 23 they make no reference to the requested termination, which was reiterated on that date.