Post-mortem on little baby Rehma 'could take weeks'
Published 26/01/2013 | 05:00
THE exact cause of death of a baby allegedly assaulted by an Irish nanny may not be available for several weeks.
The delay in getting the final results of the post-mortem on the body of baby Rehma Sabir means it will be some time before Aisling McCarthy Brady (pictured) finds out if the assault charges against her will be upgraded.
The 34-year-old has been charged with the assault and battery of the one-year-old, who died two days after suffering swelling on the brain and bleeding in her eyes. Ms McCarthy Brady has denied the charges. She remains in prison in Massachusetts after bail in the case was set at $500,000 (€370,000).
The district attorney leading the case, Gerard Leone, has said further charges against the nanny are anticipated once the final report by the chief medical examiner is concluded.
However, that is expected to be weeks away, according to pathologist and former state medical examiner, Jennifer Lipman.
Rehma suffered devastating head injuries, and preliminary post-mortem results found she also had bruising to her buttocks and injuries to her spinal cord.
Doctors also discovered multiple healing bone fractures, which are understood to be anything from two weeks to two months old.
Ms McCarthy Brady's lawyer, Melinda Thompson, has said her client had no role in the death of Rehma, who is alleged to have been assaulted on her first birthday and died two days later in hospital on January 16.
Ms Thompson said the nanny, from Lavey, in Co Cavan, had been caring for children for 18 years and would "never hurt a child".