'Possibly more serious charges' for Dale Creighton accused, court hears
FURTHER more serious charges could be brought against one of the eight people being prosecuted in connection with the fatal New Year's Day attack on Dale Creighton in Tallaght, a court has heard.
An investigating garda told Dublin District Court today of the possibility of further charges as he objected to a relaxing of bail conditions in the case of Aisling Burke, who is charged with violent disorder.
He remanded all eight accused on continuing bail, to appear in court again on March 12 for the directions of the DPP.
Mr Creighton (20) suffered serious injuries when he was attacked at the footbridge at St Dominic's Road, Tallaght at around 4am on New Year's Day.
He was taken to hospital where he was put on life support but never regained consciousness and died the next day.
Eight accused appeared in court this morning for the second time since their arrest. Seven are charged with violent disorder and one faces a weapons charge. All were banned from entering Tallaght as part of their bail conditions.
Graham Palmer (24), of Homelawn Road, Aisling Burke (20), of Bolbrook Grove, and Ross Callery (20), all in Tallaght, appeared in court last week charged with violent disorder.
David Burke (25), of Village Square, and James O'Brien (21), of Avonbeg Drive, both in Tallaght, were also charged with violent disorder, as were Jason Beresford (20) and Gerard Stephens (24).
College student James Reid (23), of Homelawn Avenue in Tallaght, was charged with producing a knife during the course of a dispute.
In Aisling Burke's case, Defence Solicitor Padraig O'Donovan asked Judge Walsh to remove the bail restriction on her entering the Tallaght area.
He said she had a two-year-old child, had been born and reared in Tallaght, and the restriction was an infringement of her constitutional rights.
The garda objected, saying the alleged offence was "extremely serious" and there would be "possibly more serious charges".
Mr O'Donovan made a similar application in the cases of her brother, David Burke and one of the co-accused, Gerard Stevens.
Judge Walsh refused the request for all three, saying they were at addresses near Tallaght and family could visit them there. However, he removed another bail condition that had restricted communication between Ms Burke and her brother.
Non-publication of several of the accused's current addresses was ordered because of fears for their safety.
Gardai had objected to bail in all cases, but this was granted subject to conditions.
At a previous court sitting, Judge Anthony Halpin said the bridge where Mr Creighton died should be immediately closed and demolished because it presents a danger to the community.
"A young man's life has been wastefully lost in tragic circumstances", said Judge Halpin. "It presents a danger to the community because any person who finds himself on this bridge is caged in without any prospect of escape and it should be closed immediately."