Friday 23 June 2017

Taoiseach denies snub by Trump on visit to New York

Taoiseach Enda Kenny Photo: Steve Humphreys
Taoiseach Enda Kenny Photo: Steve Humphreys
Cormac McQuinn

Cormac McQuinn

Taoiseach Enda Kenny has denied any suggestion he was snubbed by US president-elect Donald Trump during his visit to New York.

Mr Kenny said his trip to the United States was arranged before the outcome of the election, and there had been no political meetings planned.

The US tycoon has met Japanese prime minister Shinzo Abe and former Ukip leader Nigel Farage since his election win.

The Taoiseach was asked at a press conference if he had been hopeful of meeting Mr Trump and if he has been snubbed.

Mr Kenny brushed off the question saying: "This trip was arranged long before the outcome of the election. This is a business, trade and investment trip, both on the west coast and here. There are no political meetings on this occasion."

Mr Kenny said that he had spoken to Mr Trump by phone on the day after the election and added: "I look forward to meeting him in March."

Mr Trump has invited the Taoiseach to the White House for the traditional St Patrick's Day reception.

The president-elect gave what's being termed a victory speech in Cincinnati on Thursday where he returned to the anti-immigrant rhetoric of the campaign. Mr Kenny was asked if this is cause for concern for the fate of 50,000 undocumented Irish in the US. He said: "I think the priorities for the president-elect ... were the issues of the border and immigrants with criminal records."

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Also in this section