Ross won't intervene over Luas strikes
Fresh calls have been made for the new Transport Minister Shane Ross to intervene in the ongoing Luas row, despite his stated intention to remain on the sidelines.
Writing in his column in this newspaper today, Mr Ross says some of biggest players in the transport game attempted to provoke a reaction from him last week.
However, he remains steadfast in his convictions not to get involved in the Luas row.
"Both the warring sides should know by now that the minister will not be pillaging taxpayers' funds to sort out a dispute between a private company and its staff. Nor intervening in their squabble," he writes.
Yesterday, speaking on RTE Radio One's Marian Finucane Show, Mr Ross said his department was monitoring the dispute between drivers and operator Transdev but was "not going to do anything about it".
He added: "Disputes are always resolved; this one will be resolved - without the intervention of the State and without the State's chequebook."
However, speaking on RTE's Saturday with Claire Byrne, Siptu boss Jack O'Connor claimed that it was possible for the Government can intervene.
"There's no one looking for him to use the State chequebook, we understand perfectly why that's not an option," said Mr O'Connor.
"He said he neither can nor should, but he actually can - or at least the Government can - without taking its chequebook with it," Mr O'Connor said, referencing section 38 of the Industrial Relations Act 1990.