Thursday 27 July 2017

Minister wants free theatre access for children

Kevin ‘Boxer’ Moran. Picture: Tom Burke
Kevin ‘Boxer’ Moran. Picture: Tom Burke
Niall O'Connor

Niall O'Connor

Children could be given free access to theatres under plans being considered by the Government's newest minister.

Independent Alliance TD Kevin 'Boxer' Moran said he is considering the initiative as part of a push to improve young people's knowledge of Irish heritage.

Last week, Mr Moran announced that all children under the age of 12 will be given free access to all heritage sites across the country managed by the OPW, which falls under his responsibility.

The initiative, which began last week, opens up sites such as the Rock of Cashel, Newgrange and the Glendalough heritage centre for free.

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Mr Moran said he will consider extending the initiative to theatres under the OPW's remit if it proves successful.

He said that he has asked his officials to consider initiatives that will help families who remained hard-pressed as well as helping to boost tourism in light of Brexit.

"I think our heritage has an awful lot to offer," Mr Moran said.

"So I looked at my department and asked how could we encourage tourism. I believe kids have an awful lot to offer. If we want to talk about our future, we need to get our kids educated on their heritage.

"Maybe next year maybe looking for a point of view of our theatres, that we may look to allow kids in there for free up to a certain age."

Mr Moran was appointed OPW Minister last month having agreed to split the role with his Independent Alliance colleague and Galway East TD Seán Canney.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Also in this section