News Politics

Thursday 18 September 2014

Martin accuses Taoiseach of delaying funding cuts until after elections

Published 16/07/2014 | 13:46

  • Share
Micheal Martin. Photo: Michael Mac Sweeney

Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin has accused the Government of delaying the announcement of cuts to vital disability services until after the elections in May.

  • Share
  • Go To

More than two dozen organisations, which provided services for people with severe disabilities and serious conditions, learned their funding was cut last week.

The groups urged Taoiseach Enda Kenny to reverse the decision not to grant €1.2m funding to 26 voluntary organisations.

Organisations affected include Neurological Alliance of Ireland, the Irish Deaf Society, the Migraine Association and the Huntingdon's Disease Association.

The groups were refused funding under the Scheme to Support National Organisations in the Community and Voluntary Sector (SSNO).

Speaking in the Dail, Mr Martin told the Taoiseach: “You will be leaving them homeless and without basic resources to keep them going.”

Mr Martin said the grants were due to be announced in May but were delayed until after the local and European elections.

“You obviously didn’t want this out before the local elections because there would be hell to pay.”

Mr Kenny urged groups refused funding by State community funding agency Pobal to appeal the decision.

He said most organisations sought the maximum amount of money and as a result the number of organisations which could be funded was lower than in previous schemes.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in this section