Monday 4 May 2015

Higgins wants UK to release bomb files

Published 23/05/2014 | 02:30

President Michael D Higgins meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain this afternoon
President Michael D Higgins meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain this afternoon
President Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain
President Michael D Higgins meets Pat Fay who lost his father, Patrick Fay in the bombings and his wife Susan and members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain
President Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain
President Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina are presented by Kevin McLaughlin with a book written by Ann Cawwallader as he meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain
President Michael D Higgins meets members of Justice for the Forgotten on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of the Dublin and Monaghan bombings at Aras an Uachtarain this afternoon

PRESIDENT Michael D Higgins has called on the British government to release top-secret documents surrounding the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, which killed 34 people, including an unborn baby at full term.

The President hosted an emotional meeting of relatives and friends of those killed and injured in the bombings, which proved to be the single biggest atrocity of the Troubles.

He called on the British government to make the undisclosed files immediately available for independent assessment, as "a strategy of amnesia is simply not an option".

Noel Hegarty (54), from Swords in north Dublin, a survivor of the Talbot Street bombing, described President Higgins' remarks as "highly emotive".

"At long last we've been recognised by the President of Ireland. For so many years things have been brushed under the carpet and ignored, so it's great to be finally accepted," he told the Irish Independent.

Earlier this week, Taoiseach Enda Kenny confirmed the Government is actively seeking documents relating to the atrocity and said he has raised the issue with British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section