Former Justice Minister Alan Shatter breaks his silence
Mr Shatter says he welcomes entire findings of the Cooke Report
Published 11/06/2014 | 19:25
Former Justice Minister Alan Shatter has broken his silence on the Garda Ombudsman bugging scandal to welcome the findings of the Cooke Report.
Mr Shatter, who was forced from office following months of controversy in May, welcomed retired judge John Cooke’s report and noted that it backed up statements he made to the Dail.
He said he dealt with the allegations raised by The Sunday Times in a “straightforward, truthful and comprehensive way”.
He also highlighted Mr Cooke’s finding that GSOC was statutorily obliged to inform him of the security sweep when it took place last year.
“I previously addressed these matters in detail as Minister for Justice in Dail Eireann on both 11 and 18 February and before the Joint Oireachtas Petitions Committee on the 19 February,” he said.
I did so on the basis of information then available to me as received from GSOC, including their technical reports and a technical peer review of those reports commissioned by the Department of Justice.
I reported to the House GSOC’s own conclusions that ‘no definitive evidence of unauthorised technical or electronic surveillance was uncovered’ with regard to their offices.
I also recounted that there was no identified connection between any member of An Garda Siochana and any of these matters, GSOC having in their own press release stated that “there was no evidence of Garda misconduct”.