Sunday 24 September 2017

Former FG TD Sean Conlan expected to be charged over alleged assault in family pub

TD Sean Conlan
TD Sean Conlan
Philip Ryan

Philip Ryan

Former Fine Gael TD Sean Conlan is expected to be charged in the coming days over an alleged assault in his family pub, Independent.ie understands.

Mr Conlan, who today dramatically resigned from his party, was arrested over the alleged incident which left a man in his 20s needing medical treatment in September.

At the time, the Cavan Monaghan TD claimed he was injured during the incident and said he was attacked because he was a member of the Government.

Independent.ie understands Mr Conlan was told by his party that his general election candidacy would not be ratified if he was charged over the alleged assault.

It is also understood Fine Gael secretary general Tom Curran told Mr Conlan last night that he would not be on the party ticket if he was charged over the fracas that took place in the bar in Ballybay, Co Monaghan.

Read more: TD Sean Conlan told he would not be on FG ticket if charged over alleged bar assault

Today, Mr Conlan claimed he quit Fine Gael due to the lack of support he received from his party for his campaign against the construction of hundreds of pylons in his constituency.

On his Facebook page, Mr Conlan said he felt “limited” in what he could say about the pylon issue as a member of Fine Gael.

“I have felt limited in what I wanted to say in relation to how the people of Monaghan, Cavan and Meath have been treated in relation to this issue and other issues,” he said.

“I now believe I will be unhindered and better able to represent and express the views of the people in an open and fearless manner going forward and will continue to work hard to ensure their best interests are served,” he added.

Mr Conlan has not responded to requests for comment.

This evening, he posted a longer statement to his Facebook page and said he was "deeply saddened and disappointed by what has been done to the Fine Gael Party by those at the top".

Full statement:

"Both myself and my director of elections in 2011,Cllr Hugh McElvaney, who has over 40 years service on Monaghan County Council, resigned over the issue of the North South Interconnector in the last 24 hours.

During the announcement of my resignation on Northern Sound, my local Radio station, I made it clear that I was also resigning because of individuals within Fine Gael who were attacking me because of stances I took on various issues and how that was being played out in the media and how certain members of the media were assisting these individuals who wanted to keep me quiet.

I said on the RTE Six One News and on The Sean O'Rourke show last year that if you speak out in Fine Gael you will be punished and this is exactly what I feel has happened to me with sustained attacks on my character in the media since that time. I spoke out about the behaviour of An Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Minister for Arts Heritage and the Gaeltacht Heather Humphreys TD in appointing John McNulty to the board of IMMA and his appointment as Fine Gael's nominee for the vacant Seanad seat. Their actions at the time ultimately led to Fine Gael losing the seat and losing the Government's majority in the Seanad for the first time in the history of the State.

Since my resignation, it is clear to see that the attack dogs within Fine Gael are out, trying to spin the reasons for my resignation into a negative context. Let me be clear the only reason for my resignation are the reasons as stated above.

So I wonder what the great and powerful have in store next? [paragraph omitted]

As the grandson of a man who fought for the independence of this country, who was interned for his involvement and released on the day after the Treaty of Independence was signed and the son of a man who represented the Fine Gael Party for 49 years in County Monaghan I am not angry but deeply saddened and disappointed by what has been done to the Fine Gael Party by those at the top."

Online Editors

Also in this section