Sunday 11 December 2016

Fine Gael lifts Vincent Browne debate ban after coming to agreement with TV3

Published 16/04/2015 | 10:31

Vincent Browne
Vincent Browne

FINE Gael has lifted its ban on TDs taking part in Vincent Browne’s ‘People’s Debate’ on TV3.

  • Go To

The party said it had been approached by the independent broadcaster in the last number of weeks and an agreement was reached to allow its TDs take part.

The ‘People’s Debate’ sees Vincent Browne host a debate live from every constituency around the country in the run up to the next General Election.

A Fine Gael spokesperson told The Daily Mail that agreement had been reached and ‘undertakings’ given to the party by the station.

These undertakings include firmer structures on audience make-up, as well as TDs being given broad headings for the topics up for debate.

The party banned its TDs from taking part in January as it claimed the broadcaster had not put in place adequate safeguards for the show.

However the party has now reversed this position – but said it will be left up to individual TDs whether they wish to take part.

TV3 said it was trying to provide a service to its viewers by highlighting constituency issues, at considerable cost to the broadcaster.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section