FG chief to be quizzed over Perry allegations
Published 28/07/2016 | 02:30
Under-fire Fine Gael boss Tom Curran is to be hauled in front of the parliamentary party to discuss the fallout from the John Perry affair.
Mr Curran, the party's general secretary, is under mounting pressure to respond to claims that a party official was put under "considerable pressure" not to appear before the High Court case.
Sources say that Mr Curran will be asked to address the issue at the next meeting of Fine Gael TDs and senators in September.
Mr Perry, a former junior minister, took the case against the party following its handling of the selection convention in Sligo/Leitrim.
Fine Gael settled the case out of court - a move that is believed to have cost the party in the region of €500,000.
The Irish Independent published details last week of a letter sent by Mr Perry to senior party figures and trustees, which made a series of allegations in relation to the events leading up to the court case.
Mr Perry claims that a Fine Gael figure, understand to be a public representative, told the party that he was pressurised not to appear at the case itself.
The former minster also said some trustees were "kept in the dark" in relation to a letter that was sent by Mr Curran prior to the case, in which he described the organisation of the selection as "chaotic".
Fine Gael figures have said the claims are being "treated extremely seriously" and were discussed by party trustees on Tuesday.
The matter has also been brought to the attention of Taoiseach Enda Kenny, Fine Gael deputy leader James Reilly and party chairman Martin Heydon.
A Fine Gael spokeswoman told the Irish Independent: "This case has been before the courts and has now been concluded. As such, we have no further comment to make on the matter."