Monday 26 September 2016

Councillor 'far from impressed' by SF decision to temporarily lift expulsion

Published 22/07/2015 | 02:30

Kieran McCarthy
Kieran McCarthy

A Sinn Féin councillor warned he is still considering running as an Independent in the next General Election despite what he termed "an amazing" U-turn by the party on controversial disciplinary measures.

  • Go To

Councillor Kieran McCarthy said he was "far from impressed" by the Sinn Féin move to temporarily reverse the decisions to expel him and suspend a Cork colleague.

The decision, taken following an Ard Comhairle meeting, includes an invitation to Mr McCarthy to participate in a fresh review of recent controversies within the party's Cork East organisation.

Last month, Mr McCarthy was expelled from Sinn Féin, while Mallow-based councillor Melissa Mullane had her membership suspended for 12 months.

However, the veteran Cobh-based politician said he was far from impressed by the latest development.

"My solicitor contacted me this morning to say there had been correspondence from the [Sinn Féin] party and I am going to meet her to discuss this," he said.

"I think this is a panic measure because they never anticipated the type of reaction among members to my expulsion."

The Sinn Féin probe into the Cork East problems was headed by Cork North Central TD Jonathan O'Brien.

"He (Mr McCarthy) wouldn't be a member so there wouldn't be an onus on him to co-operate with the investigation. So the only way we could afford him that opportunity was to lift the expulsion for a period of 21 days," Mr O'Brien said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in this section