DEREK Cribbin (38) was living with his wife and family in his Co Meath home for six years before he noticed a problem.
"Two years ago, we noticed tiles in the kitchen starting to lift," he said.
"The housebuilder said he thought there may be some issues. It soon became apparent it was pyrite."
Both Derek and his wife Evelyn are nurses, and the couple bought the four-bedroom dormer bungalow at Coldrick's Pass in Dunshaughlin, Co Meath in 2005 for €337,500.
"We've had to replace the tiles in the kitchen twice, as when the baby boy and girl were crawling it was dangerous.
"We've had to replaster parts of the ceilings. A bit of plaster came down on our little girl when she was asleep.
"The fact our neighbours have had a gas leak attributed by pyrite made people sit up and listen. A lot of it is cosmetic, you think. But the problem is what's going on underneath the floor"