Monday 5 December 2016

Permit probe halts dismissal case

Published 18/02/2012 | 05:00

GARDAI are investigating allegations a restaurant owner employed a worker without a valid work permit.

  • Go To

Amjad Hussein has previously been ordered to pay €92,000 in backpay to the employee who had worked in Poppadoms in Newlands Cross, Dublin 22, between 2002 and 2009, for as little as 51 cent an hour.

Yesterday, the Employment Appeals Tribunal adjourned an unfair dismissals case taken by Pakistani chef Muhammad Younis against his former employer after hearing that Mr Hussein was facing possible criminal charges.

Speaking after the case, Mr Younis, who is married and has nine children at home in Pakistan, said he was extremely frustrated at the delay.

"This is my 10th year in Ireland and I cannot go back to my wife and children until I get the money I am owed, but it is being delayed and delayed," he said.

Mr Hussein declined to comment to the Irish Independent.

Earlier, Mr Hussein's barrister Patrick Reynolds said his client had been contacted by the Garda National Immigration Bureau on the work permit issue.

The barrister argued this meant his client could not give evidence on the employment case without prejudicing his case against any possible criminal charges. He said that it was a criminal offence to employ a non-national except in accordance with a work permit.

Employment Appeals Tribunal chairman Tony Taaffe said he was prepared to adjourn the unfair dismissal case because of the criminal investigation.

The gardai confirmed to the Irish Independent that an investigation was taking place.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News