Party-goer died after taking cocaine cocktail
A man who died after taking cocaine at a party may have been dead for some time before party-goers realised he was in trouble, an inquest heard.
Paul Teeling (30), of Dun Saithne Grove, in Ballbriggan, Co Dublin, was pronounced dead at Beaumont Hospital on April 4 this year, Dublin Coroner's Court was told.
Mr Teeling's ex-partner Aimee Guildea, who was pregnant with his baby at the time of his death, said that he had been drinking every day in the two weeks before his death.
She had caught him injecting steroids into his upper leg shortly before his death, she said. The steroids had changed his personality, she believed.
"His behaviour changed, he started drinking every day of the week," she said.
On the night of April 3, Stuart Cassidy had a party in his house at Clonuske Green, in Balbriggan. Ms Guildea said that Mr Teeling took a large amount of cocaine at the party. He also took diazepam, she said.
Other party goers were also taking drugs, she said.
Mr Cassidy said that later in the night Mr Teeling had fallen asleep on the couch in the garage. He did not look well but he checked him and he was breathing.
He thought that Mr Teeling was just drunk and went to bed. The next morning another guest at the party turned Mr Teeling over and discovered that he had turned purple and did not appear to be breathing.
He was carried to the front garden where gardai and emergency services attended the scene. He was pronounced dead on arrival at hospital.
The toxicology report found that Mr Teeling had taken cocaine cut with lignocaine, a drug used to treat heart palpitations, and levamisole, a veterinary drug used as a dewormer for livestock.
Members of the family raised concerns that Mr Teeling had not been helped earlier by others. However, Deputy Coroner Maria Colbert said that given the amount of drugs in his system it was likely that he would not have recovered even if he had been taken to hospital immediately.
She returned a verdict of death by misadventure.