Sunday 26 October 2014

Part of hospital ward closed due to suspected outbreak of winter vomiting bug

Published 08/11/2012 | 15:56

PART of a hospital ward remained closed off today after a suspected outbreak of the winter vomiting bug.

Eighteen patients and staff at Antrim Area Hospital have been affected by suspected norovirus.

One bay of one ward was closed off due to three patients having the infection.

Ten patients in another ward were affected but the hospital said none was very unwell and all were either recovered or recovering.

Five staff members were hit by the bug.

A spokeswoman for the Northern Trust said restrictions on visiting the affected areas of the hospital had been put in place.

She said the norovirus was currently circulating around Northern Ireland.

"Thanks to the hard work of our staff the spread of the infection has now been brought under control," she added.

The hospital has asked would-be visitors to avoid the hospital if they are exhibiting symptoms of vomiting or diarrhoea.

Anyone attending Accident and Emergency should alert staff if they have these symptoms.

Press Association

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News