Over 1,000 pupils run gauntlet of rubble every day
Published 24/01/2014 | 07:42
MORE than one thousand Dublin schoolchildren a day travel along this dangerous and dilapidated road to and from two schools and a community centre.
The only access to these buildings in Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15 is via the Hollywood Road, described by resident and parent Charlie Cleary as “worse than any building site”.
Children as young as four are among 500 pupils at Educate Together and St Luke’s national schools.
Children are left with no choice but to walk on sections of unfinished footpaths or navigate around cars illegally parked on both sides of the road and on a roundabout.
They also have to dodge large puddles that have not been cleared since the schools and community centre opened in September 2011.
And after someone dumped a load of topsoil on part of the footpath last week, they now have to climb over a mound of dirt to avoid walking directly on the road.
“It’s an accident waiting to happen,” said Educate Together principal Maurice Hurley.
“But it’s the only route into the school and we can’t do anything about it,” he told the
Mr Cleary, who walks with his sons Sean (four), Conor (six) and Paddy (10) to and from school said it’s a miracle no one has been injured.
He told the Herald that on Wednesday he saw a father running to move his child from the path of an oncoming car after the little boy walked onto the road to avoid the mound of dirt dumped on the footpath.
He added that it’s even more dangerous during the morning and afternoon school run when cars are parked haphazardly on because there is no traffic warden and no where else to park.
But Fingal County Council said it has no jurisdiction over the maintenance of the road because the land is owned by the developer Twinlite Developments, which has not yet made an application for the road to be ‘taken into charge’ by the council. This would mean that Fingal would be responsible for the road’s safety and upkeep.
A council spokeswoman could not say why this hasn’t happened nor why the council hasn’t sought the developer out to do so.
Calls by the Herald to Twinlite yesterday were not returned.
However, the company’s website boasts it is responsible for “the largest residential project in Irish history at Tyrrelstown in 2000 and completed it in 2012”.
But Mr Hurley said the problem has been going on now for more than two-and-a-half years with no resolution in sight.