Saturday 29 April 2017

OCI reverse decision (again) and will now allow media at upcoming vote for president

Mr Hickey, who is facing charges of ticket touting in connection with the Rio Olympics, held the role of OCI president for the past 28 years. Photo: Justin Farrelly
Mr Hickey, who is facing charges of ticket touting in connection with the Rio Olympics, held the role of OCI president for the past 28 years. Photo: Justin Farrelly

Denise Calnan and Shane Phelan

The Olympic Council of Ireland (OCI) has reversed its decision to install a media ban at its upcoming meeting to select the successor to controversial president Pat Hickey.

The unprecedented ban was planned for the upcoming EGM and was announced just days after invitations were sent out to media representatives.

OCI elections have traditionally been open to the press and assurances were given last week that the meeting, where a new executive committee will be voted on, would be open to the media "in the interests of transparency".

However, a letter then issued to participants last night by the OCI's honorary secretary, Dermot Henihan, said that security would be in place at the meeting and that only the individuals on the list would be permitted entry to the meeting room.

Now, OCI Media Attache Jack McGouran told Newstalk Sport this morning that the decision has been reversed overnight and media will be allowed at the meeting.

The OCI are expected to release a statement later today.

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News