News Irish News

Thursday 30 March 2017

O Muircheartaigh rules out bid for Aras

Independent.ie reporters

FORMER GAA commentator Micheal O Muircheartaigh has become the latest prospective presidential candidate to declare he won't be running.

The 81-year-old last night joined fellow veteran Gay Byrne in ruling out a bid for the Aras. His decision was not unexpected.



Speaking on RTE's Morning Ireland this morning, Mr O Muircheartaigh said: "I decided it was time to end the speculation and to say that I would not be part of the election.



"I had never said I was interested in being a candidate but I think out of respect for the people who asked me and who offered support I had to consider it.



"But all along my initial reaction was that I would not get involved."



Mr O Muircheartaigh said he had been approached by a number of cross-party politicians but said he thought it should be easier for people who are not involved in politics to get a nomination.



"The role has changed and I think the nomination process will become more open."



He also predicted there would be "another few candidates" before the selection process closed.

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News