Saturday 23 September 2017

No further strike action imminent as Bus Éireann union members vote to end dispute

The threat of strikes by Bus Éireann do not look likely in the near future (Stock picture)
The threat of strikes by Bus Éireann do not look likely in the near future (Stock picture)
Amy Molloy

Amy Molloy

Workers from the National Bus and Rail Union have voted to accept Labour Court recommendations which aim to end a dispute over pay roll cuts.

Union members accepted the recommendations with 67pc voting in favour of the proposals.

This means that no further strike action is imminent at the company.

The NBRU vote follows 53pc of Siptu members at the insolvent semi-state company also voting in favour of the Labour Court's recommendations.

However, commenting on today’s ballot, NBRU general secretary Dermot O’Leary said that workers remained “prepared to engage in further in industrial action” if the company “forces change on our members”.

“The acceptance of the Labour Court is just the beginning of the process to repair a company that has been damaged by Government policy,” he said.

Bus Éireann workers engaged in three weeks of strikes earlier this year following attempts by the company to shore up losses by announcing a number of cuts.

Mr O'Leary further added he had written to Transport Minister Shane Ross requesting to meet to discuss the establishment of the Forum.

Bus Éireann has welcomed the result.

"This endorsement significantly enhances the prospects for the company and all of the customers and staff who rely on our services throughout the country.

"We now look forward to proactively engaging with our staff to implement the Labour Court recommendation."

Online Editors

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News