Sunday 11 December 2016

No funeral plans for victim of road rage

Edel O'Connell

Published 04/10/2010 | 05:00

The junction of Tritonville Road, Sandymount Road, and Newbridge Avenue, Dublin where 49- year- old Raymond Bates from Durham was attacked. Photo: Collins Photo Agency
The junction of Tritonville Road, Sandymount Road, and Newbridge Avenue, Dublin where 49- year- old Raymond Bates from Durham was attacked. Photo: Collins Photo Agency

THE family of a man who died in a suspected road rage incident have said they have no idea when they will be able to organise his funeral.

  • Go To

Raymond Bates (49) died from injuries he sustained following the incident on Dublin's southside last Sunday night.

The father-of-three from Durham in England had been working in Ireland on a gas pipeline.

His wife, Brenda, her sister Vivien, and his three sons travelled to Dublin to be with him last week when Mr Bates was in a coma in Beaumont Hospital.

Speaking to the Irish Independent yesterday, Mr Bates' sister-in-law Vivien said the family wanted to thank the Garda Siochana, the emergency services, St Vincent's and Beaumont hospitals, their nurses and doctors and all who had fought to save Mr Bates' life.

"We would also like to thank his employer, the Murphy Group, who has been very helpful and kind to us," she said.

Vivien added that the family were all back in Britain now.

She said the family had no idea as to when they would be able to organise the funeral.

It is understood the incident began at a set of traffic lights on Tritonville Road as both cars were heading away from Ringsend towards Sandymount -- where Mr Bates was living in a rented apartment at Newgrove Avenue.

It is understood that the driver behind him began flashing his lights and beeping his horn, apparently angry that Mr Bates was driving too slowly.

Nauseous

He cut off Mr Bates' car, went to the boot of his own car and took out a hurley stick. It is understood he struck Mr Bates' car bonnet and when Mr Bates got out of his own car he was hit twice before he fell down. Mr Bates was then struck twice on the head while he was lying on the road beside his car.

Mr Bates then drove himself home.

However, he felt nauseous on Monday morning, and friends called an ambulance which took him to St Vincent's Hospital. He was transferred to the head trauma unit in Beaumont Hospital where he died on Thursday.

The suspect, a married local man in his late 20s with no criminal record, was questioned by gardai last week before Mr Bates died.

He was released pending the completion of the investigation file and its submission to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News