Sunday 23 July 2017

What it says in the papers

Mohammed Ali Malek (C, rear), one of two survivors of Saturday's migrant boat disaster, later arrested on suspicion of people trafficking, is seen watching bodies of dead migrants being disembarked from the Italian coastguard ship Bruno Gregoretti, at Senglea in Valletta's Grand Harbour. Photo: Reuters
Mohammed Ali Malek (C, rear), one of two survivors of Saturday's migrant boat disaster, later arrested on suspicion of people trafficking, is seen watching bodies of dead migrants being disembarked from the Italian coastguard ship Bruno Gregoretti, at Senglea in Valletta's Grand Harbour. Photo: Reuters
A photo of Mark Nash taken at a table quiz in Dublin's GPO hours before he murdered Sylvia Sheils and Mary Callinan
Graham Dwyer’s father Sean at court for his son’s sentencing
Alex White
Independent.ie Newsdesk

Independent.ie Newsdesk

Here are the seven stories you need to know about today

'Savers' rescue fund put at risk by shocking flaws' is the main headline on the front page of today's 'Irish Independent'.

Charlie Weston reports that a "shocking catalogue of mismanagement, breaches of rules and poor oversight has been revealed in a secret report into a multi-million euro bail-out fund run by the country's credit unions".

The report, compiled by accountancy firm Mazars, also states that some €13m of credit union money was put at risk because of the way rescue funds were used.

The front page also carries a picture showing a Tunisian survivor looking on as rescue crews carry away bodies of those who died during a sea tragedy over the weekend which claimed the lives of some 950 people. Italian police are claiming that this man captained the boat which overturned while most of its passengers were locked below decks and have accused him of multiple homicide.

Today's 'Herald' carries a picture of serial killer Mark Nash at a charity table quiz in Dublin just hours before he killed Sylvia Shiels and Mary Callinan in their home in Grangegorman in 1997. The picture, which was aired on RTE's 'Primetime' programme, shows the killer looking relaxed at the event and with a black jacket which 12 years later would show the presence of DNA from both women. The image was central to his conviction for the double murder earlier this week. 'Murder on his mind' is the headline.

Mark Nash at a table quiz just hours before brutal double murder (Photo: Prime Time)
Mark Nash at a table quiz just hours before brutal double murder (Photo: Prime Time)

'Dwyer dad: I stand by my son' is the main headline on the front page of today's 'Irish Daily Star'.

The newspaper reports that Sean Dwyer, father of convicted murderer Graham Dwyer (42), told them: "For the record, I stand by my son."

Graham Dwyer’s father Sean at court for his son’s sentencing
Graham Dwyer’s father Sean at court for his son’s sentencing
Graham Dwyer was jailed for life for the murder of childcare worker Elaine O'Hara

Married father-of-three Dwyer was earlier this week sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of childcare worker Elaine O'Hara (36) in September 2012.

During the sentencing hearing on Monday, Elaine's father Frank O'Hara said in a statement: "This is our life sentence. For us there is no parole."

Alex White
Alex White

'Spy TV' is the main headline on the front page of today's 'Irish Sun'.

The newspaper reports how the Government wants to give An Post access to Sky and UPC accounts in a bid to identify those who are avoiding paying the TV licence fee.

Communications Minister Alex White last night proposed new laws to chase the one-in-six TV viewers who don't pay their €160 TV licence fee.

Today's 'Irish Times' front page features an interview with the former director of the national pancreas transplant programme.

David Hickey accuses Beaumont Hospital and the HSE of taking an "unethical and callous" approach to patients on the waiting list by seeking to "wind up" the programme without telling them.

No pancreas transplant operations have been carried out in Ireland since Mr Hickey stepped down from his position in September, the newspaper claims.

'Grealish plans Irish return' is the main headline in today's 'Irish Independent' sport.

John Fallon reports that the father of the Aston Villa and Ireland U21 player has confirmed that his son still plans to return to the Ireland set-up in September - but that it could be for the U21s rather than Martin O'Neill's senior squad.

In-demand teen Jack Grealish has eye on Ireland U-21 comeback in September
In-demand teen Jack Grealish has eye on Ireland U-21 comeback in September
Aston Villa starlet Jack Grealish is wanted both by the FAI and the English FA
Jack Grealish in action for the Republic of Ireland under-21s

Online Editors

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News