Watch: Petrol pump catches fire in Irish filling station
Published 13/07/2016 | 20:10
This is the moment a petrol pump caught fire at a filling station in Leitrim.
Éilis Keegan from Athboy, Meath was filling her car on Saturday when the nozzle she was using caught fire and spread into the fuel cap.
Quick-thinking Ms Keegan (27) pulled the nozzle from the car and ran to get help inside the store. A worker then used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.
If the tank had not been full at the time Ms Keegan fears that the whole car could have gone up in flames and then potentially the entire petrol station.
She explained that she was driving to Glencolmcille when she decided to stop to refuel.
"I was almost finished filling when I got a jolt in my arm. Suddenly there were flames everywhere. I managed to get the pump out of the tank. I ran into the shop and one of the customers came out with a fire-extinguisher put out the flames."
Ms Keegan explained that a mechanic was called to examine the vehicle and the pump and found that both were in "perfect working condition".
"He said it was most likely static from me or my clothes. Most people hear that this can happen but they never hear of it actually happening."
She explained: "I got a huge fright. It was only after it hit me what could have happened. It was the most unexpected thing to happen."