News

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Two-way Dublin quays cycle lane 'still years away'

Brian Byrne

Published 26/06/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Dublin City manager Owen Keegan
Dublin City manager Owen Keegan

A PLANNED two-way cycle lane on the quays of Dublin, which would force motorists into a single lane, will not be introduced until 2017 at earliest.

  • Share
  • Go To

The plans for the inner city's north quays have received mixed reactions since they were revealed by Dublin City Council chief executive Owen Keegan last week.

However, chief executive of the National Transport Authority Gerry Murphy has now confirmed that the controversial plans will not be introduced until after the Luas Cross City line begins operation in October 2017.

Mr Murphy told an Oireachtas committee on transport and communications yesterday that the plan, intended to increase the number of people who cycle to work, is still several years away from being implemented.

He said that due to the construction works currently under way for the Luas Cross City route, it would cause undue traffic congestion to bring the plans forward and implement them within the interim period.

The plans have received harsh criticism from Dublin's newly-elected Lord Mayor Christy Burke, who previously described it as a "disaster".

Mr Burke said: "I know Owen Keegan is a cycling enthusiast, but I think we have to be careful if we rush into areas that may not work out at the end of the day."

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News