Friday 26 December 2014

Travel chaos averted: Two Aer Lingus strikes called off

Published 11/06/2014 | 18:48

Aer Lingus
Aer Lingus

Two strikes that would have caused travel chaos for up to 80,000 Aer Lingus passengers next week have been called off.

Passengers due to fly on Monday and Wednesday can breathe a sigh of relief, after a union for cabin crew suspended the industrial action.

The move came after IMPACT accepted a Labour Court request to halt the 24-hour strikes.

In a bulletin notice to members of the branch, branch chair Angela McNeela said: "The cabin crew executive has agreed, following a request from the Labour Court, that the strike action planned next week  (Monday 16th and Wednesday 18th June) will be deferred to allow consideration of an interim recommendation.

"The Labour Court will issue that interim recommendation tomorrow morning."

"The branch committee's decision was based on an assessment that sufficient progress had been made today during the engagement with the Labour Court," IMPACT's statement said.

Passengers had been in limbo as the airline waited to see if an eleventh-hour intervention by the court would avert the work stoppages.

A dispute over cabin crew rosters had already caused disruption for 28,000 passengers at Dublin, Cork and Shannon airports when staff mounted pickets at the June bank holiday weekend.

The Labour Court stpped in to try to resolve the dispute, by inviting the parties to take part in an investigation into the row over rosters.

Cabin crew announced the work stoppages after talks with management on a 'five days on, three days off' roster broke down. They want fixed-pattern rosters because they say the current system is exhausting and "erratic".

 

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News