News

Wednesday 30 July 2014

Ticketmaster: Garth Brooks ticket refunds delayed until Thursday

Wayne O’Connor

Published 13/07/2014|02:30

  • Share

Ticketmaster have delayed the commencement of refunds for the Garth Brooks Comeback Special.

  • Share
  • Go To

In a statement, the group said they 'understand that negotiations to try and find a resolution' to the five-night concert run are still ongoing and have delayed ticket refunds as a result.

Garth Brooks fan Cara Cronly (8) at the protest outside Dail Eireann.  Picture;  GERRY MOONEY.  13/7/14
Garth Brooks fan Cara Cronly (8) at the protest outside Dail Eireann. Picture; Gerry Mooney

"We would ask fans to continue to be patient and to hold onto their tickets for now," they wrote in statement issued this evening.

The process of ticket refunds was originally set to begin Tuesday.

Meanwhile, Tanaiste Joan Burton has said that she believes there is still “a window” of opportunity to get the Garth Brooks concerts “over the line”.

Speaking on The Week in Politics earlier this morning, the Labour party leader said she would like to see the country and western singer come here.

She also said there appears to be a strong indication that a number of names which were used as objections against the planning application “were not in fact properly consulted or their names were used without their knowledge”.

She said that she will now be asking the recently appointed Environment Minister Alan Kelly to “have a look at licensing events” as the law “needs to be updated”.

Meanwhile, concert promoter Peter Aiken was last night locked in eleventh-hour negotiations to broker a new deal to salvage the Garth Brooks concerts.

After a week of drama, discussions to broker a new deal took place behind closed doors as up to 100 Garth Brooks fans marched on the Dail in protest at the concelled concerts, which are estimated to be worth up to €50m to the economy.

In a brief phone call, Mr Aiken told the Sunday Independent he was “talking to people about it right now”, but he could not provide any further details.

Mr Aiken did not say who he was talking to, but the Sunday Independent has learned that the new Environment Minister, Alan Kelly, has intervened in an attempt to broker a deal. A spokesperson for a party involved in the negotiations said: “We hope to have a positive update on Monday.”

Earlier yesterday, protesters met at the GPO on Dublin’s O’Connell Street at 12pm before marching towards College Green, up Grafton Street and then down Kildare Street singing Garth Brooks songs and chanting: “Lets go – five in a row.”

The demonstration was organised online on social media, with fans travelling from Donegal, Louth, Wicklow and other countries across the country to make their voices heard.

 Leanne O’Hagan, from Newry, had travelled home from Australia to see the concerts.

She said that she is “embarrassed” with how the fiasco surrounding the Croke Park concerts portrayed Ireland abroad. “It is not even about the concerts any more. It is more to do with the fact that we are a laughing stock around the world once again because we never seem to know what we are doing”, she told the Sunday Independent,

Leanne was due to stay in Australia on a visa for another 10 weeks but flew home last weekend to attend the concerts. “It was the cheapest flight I could find, it is pretty expensive to fly from the other side of the world,” she added.

“I gave up my job in Australia and sold my car to come back to Ireland to go to this concert.”

Claire Thomas, from Donegal, who helped organise the protest, urged Dublin City Manager Owen Keegan to reverse the decision not to allow the final two concerts to go ahead. “In light of recent developments, such as all of the local residents now being in favour of the concerts, the court action being dropped, local businesses crying out for them to go ahead and the majority of the city council voting in favour of the concerts, we would appeal to Mr Keegan to grant a licence for the last two shows.”

Claire said she initially struggled to get a ticket for the show, but eventually managed to source one for the final show on Tuesday.

 “We are out in the sticks in Donegal. We don’t have broadband so I was sitting in front of the computer crying when I was not able to get tickets for the original shows,” she added.

 Claire added that the mooted proposal for Brooks to perform matinee concerts on Saturday and Sunday is unworkable.

 “The spectacle wouldn’t be the same,” she said. “The lights would be useless and I have heard people say that they would look for a refund because they did not book for that day. They booked for Monday or Tuesday.”

Kevin Dixon, from Coolock, Dublin, said he was ashamed of the council for cancelling the final two concerts.

“They won’t do a thing. All that they have to do is to allow the five concerts happen and then never let this happen again,” he said. “If it was U2 fans – they would get to see their heroes. It is disgraceful for 400,000 fans to be told three weeks before that the concerts are not going ahead.”

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News