Thursday 29 September 2016

Teen girl involved in Facebook hacking scandal claims Gardaí are 'doing nothing' about it

Published 15/01/2016 | 14:03

Cork teenager Katie Kirwin’s photos were hijacked and used
Cork teenager Katie Kirwin’s photos were hijacked and used

One of the girls whose Facebook pictures were stolen and uploaded to an international porn site has spoken out about the Gardaí.

  • Go To

Explaining the situation to Ryan Tubridy this afternoon, Katie Kirwin said she was "fuming" with the response of the Gardaí to the hack.

"The Gardaí are doing nothing for me, I'm fuming".

"No detective in Ireland has taken my statement... I'm sick of contacting the Garda station. If there's any Garda in Ireland willing to take my statement can you contact me".

"Pedophiles targeted myself amongst other girls, stole our pictures from our personal profiles and uploaded them to an online forum slash porn website, where they then posted sexually aggressive threats.. most of us were underage in the photos".

"Mine started when I was 14... and they have over a million hits".

"They printed out some pictures and put... male excrement on them? Is that the best way to say it?"

Read more: Teen girls' horror as social media photos appear on porn site

Speaking on Cork's Red FM yesterday, Katie (19) said that she was "absolutely up the walls" with the situation.

She told Neil Prenderville that she didn't feel the gardai were doing enough to help her.

She said there was some confusion over which station she should be filing in.

"I went to Anglesea... I was told 'there's no immediate problem'... which it outrageous considering I'm legally still a child (in the photos)".

"I was told that there is nothing Anglesea could do for me, I had to file in my local Mayfield, but (I had been told)  I could file anywhere".

"I've been cyberstalked for four years... because I'm 14 (in the pictures) it's somehow not as bad".

On Morning Ireland this morning, Kirwin said that she was told by Gardaí it would take two to three weeks to process a complaint.

Speaking to Independent.ie, a representative for An Garda Siochana said that the Gardaí "are aware" of the case and "all inquires are being carried out in relation to it".

Also speaking to Independent.ie, a representative for Facebook said they they were unable to comment on individual cases but that Facebook are looking into it. The company is communicating with one of the affected girls on the matter.

"Nothing is more important to us that our user's safety and we have spent years building reporting tools and educational resources".

"People aged 13-17 benefit from enhanced privacy settings. They can only share friend-to-friend".

They said that Facebook encourage users to be careful who they connect with.

Kirwin yesterday spoke out against those blaming the victims for what happened.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News