Stabbed body found in car boot
A MAN whose body was found in the boot of a car in Belfast had been badly beaten in a paramilitary-style attack last week.
The victim, Kyle Neil from north Belfast, died following a "frenzied" knife attack in Comber before his remains were bundled into the back of a car and driven to Belfast.
It is understood a party had been under way at an address on Mill Street in the early hours of Sunday morning when the incident took place.
Following the attack, the 23-year-old's body was put into the boot of a blue Ford Fiesta car, which is believed to have belonged to the victim.
The car was found abandoned on Windsor Road in south Belfast at 7.30am yesterday after a member of the public contacted police.
A post mortem examination is due to be carried out to establish the exact cause of death.
A man and a woman in their 20s were arrested by PSNI detectives and remained in custody last night.
Mr Neil, a young father, is originally from the Ballysillan area of Belfast.
The former landscape gardener has a baby girl.
Last week, Mr Neil had been treated for head and back injuries in the Royal Victoria Hospital after he was attacked in north Belfast.
The top of Mr Neil's head required six staples after he was beaten with a bat.
Paramilitary involvement has not been ruled out.
Police set up crime scenes both at Mill Street in Comber and on Windsor Road in south Belfast yesterday.
Crime Scene Investigators appeared to be examining both an address and a garage in Mill Street.
At the Belfast scene, a tent was erected around the Ford Fiesta car.
A resident who lives close by the Mill Street scene at the centre of the investigation told the Belfast Telegraph: "There seems to be some kind of party going on on Saturday night, there were people around."
Another neighbour said: "It's a terrible thing to have happened, I can't believe it."
A male resident told UTV that people in the area were shocked.
"It is a complete shock to the system, really wouldn't expect something like this happening here," he said.
"This is a nice wee street."
DUP councillor Trevor Cummings said the murder in a residential area was a shock.
"This is a particularly distressing thing for the people of Comber to wake up to on a Sunday morning," he said.
"Given its location in a highly residential area, adjacent to a place of worship, it's very, very shocking." The murder has also stunned residents in the Windsor Road area.
It is a mainly transient community with many homes on the street having 'To Rent' signs.
SDLP councillor Declan Boyle said: "There is an immense amount of shock on this street and surrounding areas that people here have this left at their front door.
"They'd no idea what happened except when they came out this morning to find out."
He urged anyone with information that may be able to help the investigation to contact police.
Friends left tributes on Facebook to the young man.
"Kyle was a great lad," said one woman.
"Knew him for ages, still can't get over that he has left us. Rest in peace Kyle."
Last night the PSNI have said they are not seeking any other suspects in their investigation, but urged anyone who may have witnessed or heard anything suspicious to come forward with information.
Detective Chief Inspector John McVea appealed for the public's help.