Thursday 27 October 2016

Second criminal held over brutal apartment assault on two sisters

Ken Foy

Published 26/04/2016 | 07:22

Sisters Nicole and Amy Rice shortly after they were assaulted Photo: Arthur Carron
Sisters Nicole and Amy Rice shortly after they were assaulted Photo: Arthur Carron

Gardai have arrested a second criminal in relation to a brutal assault on two sisters.

  • Go To

The 26-year-old Lucan thug had been the subject of a number of surveillance operations by detectives.

Gardai wanted to question him about the savage attack on Tallaght sisters Amy (22) and Nicole Rice (20) at an apartment in Newbridge, Co Kildare on May 14, 2015.

The Rice sisters are understood to be recovering well from their horror ordeal, which allegedly started after they encountered the criminals on Facebook.

The 11-month manhunt for the second suspect arrested in the case ended last week, when gardai were told where he was hiding.

The man was questioned at Newbridge Garda Station for a number of hours before being released without charge.

A file has now been sent to the DPP in relation to the Lucan man and a close associate of his, who previously said he was worried about being attacked in jail due to the publicity surrounding the attack on the Tallaght sisters.


The Lucan criminal has close links with a jailed hitman who is the chief suspect in two murders. He is also friendly with a close associate of gangster John Gilligan, who is facing serious charges.

The criminal has been involved in drugs feuds in the Clondalkin area since he was a teenager. He has a number of previous convictions.

His close pal - who has also been arrested over the assault of the sisters - has been sentenced to six years in jail for an aggravated burglary in which he and an accomplice tied up a woman and destroyed her home while looking for cash.

The woman's hands were bound and she was taken around the house while the man used a knife to rip open a suite of furniture and a mattress as they hunted for cash.

They filled a black bag with jewellery, laptops and phones during the robbery.


He has 79 previous convictions for various offences, including burglary, criminal damage and road traffic offences. The man has been in jail since last August and is housed in Portlaoise Prison.

Before being locked up, he publicly claimed the attack against the Rice sisters did not happen as it was portrayed.

He said that he was fighting with a man and that was why trouble broke out.

"Yeah, she got a few slaps... just a few slaps." He added that he and his associate fled the country after the girls went public.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News