News

Saturday 20 September 2014

Reaction among residents around Croke Park split after cancellation

Brian Byrne and Emma Jane Hade

Published 09/07/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Susan Mangan and Sandra Reid, local residents, reacting to the news of the cancellation of all five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park. Picture: Arthur Carron
Susan Mangan and Sandra Reid, local residents, reacting to the news of the cancellation of all five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park. Picture: Arthur Carron

REACTION among local residents has been spilt after it emerged that all five Garth Brooks concerts at Croke Park had been cancelled.

  • Share
  • Go To

Resident Susan Mangan said she was "ashamed of those people who are called my neighbours" and that she was "absolutely gutted" for the local community.

"I'm gutted for the local community and I'm gutted for the whole country. Everybody is going to suffer, all because a minority of people had a problem with Croke Park holding the concerts," she said.

Another local resident Sandra Reid shared Ms Mangan's disappointment, and said: "Shame on the Government for not stepping in, because this would have been worth €50m to the economy."

However, not all residents were disappointed at the news. Geraldine Foy, who was "born and raised" near the stadium on Robert Street, said: "The disruption we would have had over the five nights, I didn't think it was a good thing."

But Ms Foy admitted she was "shocked" at the announcement by Aiken Promotions yesterday.

Reactions were also divided when it came to local businesses. Manager at Clonliffe House Bar on Ballybough Road Noel O'Rourke said the cancellations would cost his business the equivalent of five weeks' worth of revenues.

"We hoped something would have been worked out in the 11th hour, that something could be done. More people in the area wanted the concerts, than those who objected."

Owner of Savoy Takeaway Ludo Sinagoga was less concerned about the loss to local businesses, stating: "Five concerts was too much for me."

Mr Sinagoga, who has been owner of the popular chipper for 35 years, said "it's not just about serving the people in the area but they also have to deliver around the city".

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News