Sunday 22 October 2017

Pre-clearance on US flights in for long haul

At the end of January, it emerged that one person has been refused entry to the US at Dublin Airport as part of the travel ban (Stock picture)
At the end of January, it emerged that one person has been refused entry to the US at Dublin Airport as part of the travel ban (Stock picture)
Gareth Morgan

Gareth Morgan

Preclearance arrangements for US flights are set to remain after the Department of Transport told US officials that it was a valuable service to Ireland.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny asked for a complete review of US preclearance facilities in Ireland in the wake of US President Donald Trump's controversial travel ban.

At the end of January, it emerged that one person has been refused entry to the US at Dublin Airport as part of the travel ban.

Officials yesterday met with US counterparts to discuss operational matters regarding preclearance at Irish airports.

A statement said the review had been completed and that preclearance was "a valuable service for Ireland" and delivered "benefits for passengers, airlines, airports as well as the Irish economy".

It added: "There has been no breach of the Treaty of the Functioning of the EU and (it)...does not give rise to any breach of obligations under the European Convention on Human Rights. On that basis, the department's view was that US preclearance arrangements in Dublin and Shannon airports should remain in place."

Irish Independent

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News