Thursday 8 December 2016

Police reveal details of meeting with OCI executives in Rio this afternoon

Cathal McMahon

Published 23/08/2016 | 04:58

Kevin Kilty OCI Chef de Mission and Stephen Martin Olympic Council of Ireland Chief Ececutive checking into a new hotel in Rio de Janeiro. Pic Steve Humphreys
Kevin Kilty OCI Chef de Mission and Stephen Martin Olympic Council of Ireland Chief Ececutive checking into a new hotel in Rio de Janeiro. Pic Steve Humphreys

Three Olympics Council of Ireland (OCI) executives who had their passports seized in Brazil will meet police in Rio this afternoon.

  • Go To

Chef de Mission for the Olympics Kevin Kilty, CEO Stephen Martin and General Secretary Dermot Henihan were forced to reschedule flights home and move hotels yesterday after a judge made an order on Sunday for their passports to be seized.

Their phones, computers and other items were also taken during raids on the OCI offices and accommodation at the 2016 Olympic Games.

Now a police spokesperson has confirmed that all three will meet with officers at 'Police City' in the north of the city at 2pm today.

Dermot Heneghan (right) General Secretary of the OCI outside the Hospital Samaritano in Rio de Janeiro where Pat Hickey was being treated. Picture Steve Humphreys
Dermot Heneghan (right) General Secretary of the OCI outside the Hospital Samaritano in Rio de Janeiro where Pat Hickey was being treated. Picture Steve Humphreys

In a statement, released in the early hours of Tuesday morning, the spokesperson said the three men will have their hearing as part of the investigation into an alleged international ticket touting operation.

An hour and a half later police officers Ronaldo Oliviera, Ricardo Barboza and Aloysio Falcao will address the media at the same station.

Warrants have also been issued for the seizure of passports belonging to FAI chief executive and OCI vice president John Delaney, acting OCI president Willie O'Brien and personal assistant Linda O'Reilly.

Speaking exclusively to the Irish Independent yesterday afternoon, Mr Kilty denied having any knowledge of the alleged ticketing scam and said he had not spoken to former president Pat Hickey since the 71-year-old was arrested last week at the Windsor Marapendi Hotel in the city.

He revealed the raid on Sunday was "as out of the blue for us as it was for anyone else".

"I'm just absolutely shocked and amazed. This is unprecedented, it was the last thing I would ever have expected.

“We are here to cooperate. We will fully cooperate with the police, we have nothing to hide. We are here to do a job, we have always been here to do a job.

"All I can do is speak honestly and that's what I intend to do."

The arrest of Irishman Kevin Mallon on August 5 for allegedly touting of tickets began a chain of events that has brought shame on Irish sport.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News