Tuesday 6 December 2016

Over 400 arrested in anti-burglary blitz in past two months

Robin Schiller

Published 13/01/2016 | 06:45

In total, 310 people have been arrested for burglaries and related offences. A further 138 arrests have been made for handling stolen property, and 12 people were detained for breach of bail (Stock picture)
In total, 310 people have been arrested for burglaries and related offences. A further 138 arrests have been made for handling stolen property, and 12 people were detained for breach of bail (Stock picture)

More than 400 people have been arrested as part of Operation Thor since the anti- burglary blitz was introduced in November.

  • Go To

The operation aims to tackle opportunistic and serial burglars, with 49 prolific offenders apprehended so far.

In total, 310 people have been arrested for burglaries and related offences. A further 138 arrests have been made for handling stolen property, and 12 people were detained for breach of bail.

Local and national multi- agency operations have also taken place with the assistance of the Revenue, Customs, Dublin City Council and the Department of Social Protection.

Assistant Commissioner Jack Nolan described the figure as "encouraging" and added that a greater emphasis has been placed on a garda presence.

"Overall, a high emphasis has been placed on visibility, check points and active patrols.

"The figures look pretty promising, while a 5pc reduction in burglaries across the city is encouraging," Mr Nolan told the Dublin City Council's Joint Policing Committee.

Patrols

Several initiatives have been taken in the Dublin Metropolitan Region division, including the establishment of dedicated anti-burglary units, as well as several districts committing two extra gardai to assist units during night patrols.

Gardai are also targeting "professional beggars", with figures showing that the offence has increased by more than 400pc over the last 12 months.

There were 533 begging- related offences recorded in capital in 2014, compared to a staggering 2,717 in 2015.

Assistant Commissioner Nolan said that An Garda Siochana were aware of people who take part in "professional" begging, adding that they will work hard to tackle these individuals.

"In relation to begging, it is active and we are conscious that there are people who would appear to engage in professional begging, and they continue to be targeted. It is an issue, it will remain an issue; it is not unique to Dublin, but it is something we will work hard to tackle," the assistant commissioner said.

"However, we are governed by legislation and can only operate in a way which the legislation allows," he added.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News