Wednesday 7 December 2016

Omagh bomb relatives meet Kenny

Published 07/10/2015 | 02:30

Taoiseach End Kenny has met relatives of those killed in the 1998 Omagh bomb blast
Taoiseach End Kenny has met relatives of those killed in the 1998 Omagh bomb blast

Taoiseach Enda Kenny met with families of the Omagh bomb victims for the first time last night.

  • Go To

The meeting came at the request of Michael Gallagher, who lost his son Aiden in the 1998 bomb attack.

Twenty-nine people, including a woman pregnant with twins, were killed and more than 200 were injured when a 500lb car bomb, planted by the Real IRA, exploded in the town in August 1998. It was the single worst atrocity of the Troubles.

Relatives of those who died have previously criticised Mr Kenny for failing to meet with them. However, last night a spokesperson for the Taoiseach said that he was "more than happy" to facilitate the meeting with members of the Omagh Support and Self Help Group.

Speaking afterwards, Mr Kenny said: "We had a good and frank discussion on the issues of concern to the group in relation to the Omagh bombing. I assured them that the Government will continue to work with the people of Omagh to pursue every avenue to get to the truth, to ensure that those who perpetrated this atrocity are brought to justice."

He said the Government will give a "full response" to all of the issues raised by the group.

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News