O'Brien's application for injunction against RTÉ is adjourned
Published 02/05/2015 | 02:30
Businessman Denis O'Brien's injunction application against RTÉ over a proposed broadcast report in relation to his private banking affairs has been adjourned on consent between the parties in the High Court.
The court heard RTÉ has in the meantime undertaken not to broadcast certain matters in the report, which was due to go out yesterday.
Mr O'Brien says there is no public interest in details in relation to his confidential private banking arrangements with Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC).
Michael Cush SC, for Mr O'Brien, was given permission on Thursday by Mr Justice Paul Gilligan to serve papers at short notice on RTÉ seeking the injunction.
The application, made on ex-parte (only one side represented) basis, was returned to yesterday when lawyers for RTÉ and IBRC were also present.
Mr Cush said the case would not be going ahead yesterday, and the matter was adjourned briefly to allow the parties talk.
When it resumed, Mr Cush said it had been agreed to adjourn the matter to May 12 and that RTÉ would reply to the O'Brien side by May 7.
In the meantime, RTÉ had undertaken not to publish certain material referred to in the proceedings.
Michael Collins SC, for IBRC, said his client had a separate but related case against RTÉ.
He sought permission for that to be before the court on May 12 along with the O'Brien proceedings.
Mr Justice Gilligan agreed to adjourn the matter to May 12.