Notorious paedophile who claims he was 'hounded out of Ireland' sets up home in Scotland
A 10-year order aimed at protecting the public from notorious paedophile will expire on September 14
A notorious paedophile, who claims he was hounded out of Ireland, has started a new life in Scotland.
Anthony Luckwill received widespread coverage in the Irish media after being released from a jail term imposed for sexually assaulting young boys after he posed as a TV casting agent.
The predatory paedophile, previously branded "a grave risk to society" by an Irish judge, has a long history of convictions across the UK and Ireland.
Luckwill (44) has moved into a new home in Fife and a 10-year order aimed at protecting the public from him will expire on September 14.
It is open to Police Scotland to apply for a new order to put in place.
Luckwill left Ireland after he was assaulted by an angry group of locals in Dublin and his home was torched.
However, Luckwill, who now prefers to be known as Colin Gregory, was arrested soon after he arrived in Scotland for breaching the terms of his Sexual Offences Prevention Order.
The 10-year order was imposed in Wales in 2007. Luckwill managed to avoid the restrictions of the order back in his native Ireland, where the order did not apply.
He claimed he thought the SOPO did not apply in Scotland and was found in possession of banned devices, including a laptop.
He originally appeared from custody at Dunfermline Sheriff Court in June.
On that occasion, defence solicitor Elaine Buist said: "He left Ireland because he had some very disturbing press coverage. On May 23 he arrived at Stranraer, spoke to police, said he had a pre-booked hotel in Inverkeithing."
When police went to the hotel they found the devices and they were taken from him.
“What’s he doing here?” asked Sheriff James Williamson.
“Well, he’s not being in Ireland,” replied Ms Buist.
Bail was granted despite being opposed by the Crown. The court was told Luckwill planned to buy a property in west Fife.
When Luckwill returned to Dunfermline Sheriff Court this week he admitted breaching the terms of the SOPO imposed at Mold Crown Court, Wales, by having ownership and possession of a laptop computer, two cameras and a mobile phone at an Inverkeithing hotel on June 4.
Depute fiscal Dev Kapadia said: “When he spoke to police after arriving in Scotland it appeared his history had caught up with him in Ireland.
“He said he’d been assaulted and his previous accommodation had been set on fire. He said he was fearful for his safety.”
The depute said with the existing order ending soon, police could apply to a sheriff to have a new one put in place.
When Mr Kapadia said the Crown was moving for forfeiture of the devices, Luckwill became agitated in the dock and spoke heatedly to his solicitor.
Ms Buist told the court: "He’s not happy at the notion of the equipment being seized."
Sheriff Alison McKay deferred sentence until October 23 to await the outcome of any new SOPO application from the police. Consideration of the forfeiture motion has also been continued to that date.
Luckwill, originally from Dublin, has numerous convictions for child-related sex offences in Ireland, Wales and the Channel Islands.
In 2012, he was jailed for five months after arriving in Guernsey and trying to lure a 14-year-old boy to his hotel room.
In June 2013, he was jailed for four-and-a-half years in Ireland for sexually assaulting two boys who thought they were going to TV auditions.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie