Tuesday 21 October 2014

Nevin set to make his return to the ring

Emma Jane Hade

Published 25/07/2014 | 02:30

John Joe Nevin is set to make a comeback just months after his legs were broken in a horror attack
John Joe Nevin is set to make a comeback just months after his legs were broken in a horror attack

IRISH Olympic silver medallist John Joe Nevin is set to make his comeback in the boxing ring just months after a horror attack which left both of his legs broken.

The 24-year-old has revealed that he will return to the ring in the US in September – his first competitive match since he underwent major surgery in April this year.

The Mullingar native told the Irish Independent he is determined to prove he still has what it takes.

The London 2012 silver medallist told how he is "really looking forward" to the fight in the coming weeks.

"I can't wait to get in the ring and show people I'm back, as good as ever. And, I believe I will be world champion still," he said last night.

The father of one will make his return in America, after he turned professional earlier this year.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News