'My child was infected with flesh eating bug in Dublin canal,' claims mother
Warning: graphic pictures of flesh infections
Published 19/06/2014 | 13:23
A mother has told other parents to stop their children swimming in the Royal and Grand canals in Dublin because she believes there may be a 'flesh eating bug' in the water.
Mother Rachael Sneddon has issued the warning after her child was hospitalised with apparent flesh infections after swimming in the Grand Canal recently.
Ringsend-based Ms Sneddon told Dublin radio station 98fm this afternoon that her child had been in hospital three times since Saturday as a result of the "dangerous" water.
"The doctors told him to stay out of the water, that it was filthy and full of toxins," she told the 'Dublin Talks' show.
And although she agreed that "not every kid that could catch that disease", she has called for an outright ban on swimming in the canals.
"Not if they are going to get infected like that - and the pain that they are going to go through with it."
Last year, her son contracted another infection in his ear from swimming in the same canal.
The Grand Canal and its sister, the Royal Canal, almost encircle Dublin's inner city and are connected by the River Liffey.
The recent spate of good weather has encouraged many young people to go swimming in Dublin’s waterways.
Independent.ie has contacted the Health Service Executive in an attempt to ascertain if there is a known issue of this nature.
Irish IndependentFollow @Independent_ie