Mum's horror after she allegedly 'finds bugs in baby formula'
Published 05/01/2016 | 10:25
A young mother was shocked after allegedly finding bugs in the formula she was preparing to feed her children.
Whilst preparing bottles for her two children, Amanda Keller from Kanturk in Co Cork said she spotted the bugs in the SMA powder.
The young mother has two children, new born Anna and one year old Kiera and was said to have been horrified by the discovery.
“I actually couldn’t believe my eyes. It gives me the creeps just thinking about it now but they were there plain as day to see and I’ve wrapped them up and kept them.
According to the Irish Daily Mirror, she had contacted SMA “to complain and I left my number for a call back but still haven’t heard anything.”
Amanda’s children had previously had problems stomaching other formulas and SMA is the only brand she can apparently use – so the alleged discovery of the bugs has left her horrified.
“What if I feed the new born one, what if she swallowed one?” Ms Keller told the Irish Daily Mirror.
An SMA spokeswoman said “We are committed to safety, quality and hygiene of our products ad we take reports like this very seriously.
“Insects are strictly controlled by inspections on line, by specialised contractors, preventative spraying and the use of insect-o-cuters.
The company are said to have been “unable to explain how the insects gained access to her powder”.
SMA have asked Ms Keller to “return the tin and the contents” to them so they can “conduct a thorough examination”.