Thursday 18 December 2014

Many jobless excluded from work schemes, committee told

Published 13/06/2014 | 02:30

MANY unemployed people are being excluded from government back-to-work schemes because their spouses or parents are working, a Dail Committee was told, writes Aideen Sheehan.

The National Women's Council (NWCI) and other groups called for people who are excluded from the schemes, because they don't qualify for means-tested unemployment payments, to be allowed to participate.

A total 35pc of those leaving the Live Register last year were people who were no longer entitled to welfare payments.

It included people who were no longer entitled to jobseekers' benefit but did not qualify for means-tested jobseekers' allowance payments. This was because their spouses, partners or parents were working, the Irish National Organisation of the Unemployed spokeswoman Brid O'Brien told the Oireachtas committee on Education and Social Protection.

Irish Independent

Promoted articles

Read More

Promoted articles

Editor's Choice

Also in Irish News